The Verona Municipal Alliance Committee (VMAC) provides educational programming and prevention outreach to the citizens of Verona. Its funding comes from a grant through the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse with matching funds from the Township of Verona. VMAC was authorized by the Township of Verona in 1989 to promote the prevention efforts of the State of NJ at the community level.
Safe Party Tips for Teens and Parents
Verona High School’s Graduation is just around the corner. This is a wonderful event in the life of your senior student. To local law enforcement agencies, however, this same period is filled with apprehension. This time of year rarely goes by without some kind of teen alcohol or drug incident. As you prepare for this important celebration, please keep these tips in mind:
If you are the host :
– Know who is coming to the event. Larger parties can get out of hand quickly.
– Location matters. Outdoor parties are harder to contain.
– Make sure your invites say that this is not an open house and specify no alcohol or drugs allowed.
– Put liquor, prescription and valuable away.
– Have guests check “backpacks” at the door and let teens know ahead of time that parents will be called if anyone is caught with illegal substances.
– Settle on the ending time of the party beforehand.
– If you suspect an attendee is under the influence, don’t let them drive (parents can be liable).
If your teen is attending a party:
– Know all the details- address, how your teen is getting there and back, who will be there, what they’ll be doing and the hours of the party.
– Call the parents to make sure they will be home–even though your teen won’t want you to. – If plans change, make sure you teen know they need to let you know.
– Let them know if they want to leave early it’s ok. Encourage them to call you for a ride home. Rehearse what to do!
– Remind your teen never to ride with anyone who has been drinking alcohol or using drugs.
– Stay up until your teen comes home or tell them to wake you when they arrive.
– Be suspicious if your teen frequently sleeps elsewhere after a party.
VMAC sponsors programs in collaboration with the Board of Education, Verona Community Center, Health & Recreation Departments, Verona Police Department and local community groups.
VMAC has organized a Safe Homes program since the 1980’s. Parents who sign the pledge commit to providing a safe, alcohol free environment.
Since 2003, VMAC coordinates Family Night in October and March, a night free of schedules so families can enjoy some down time with each other. Dinner Does Make A Difference!
VMAC programs include school clubs, parent workshops, senior citizen wellness, coach trainings, and Ropes Course Challenge.